Lead Software Engineer, Platform
San Francisco, CA
Blurb® is a book-making platform and creative community that enables individuals to create, publish, share and sell high-quality photo books, trade books, and magazines in both print and digital formats. Blurb is accessible to consumers across the globe with free, innovative book creation and layout tools. Founded in 2005, Blurb has over 2 million customers worldwide, resulting in over 4 million unique book titles, with nearly 18 million units shipped to almost 100 countries around the world. We are headquartered in San Francisco.
The platform team at Blurb builds the core APIs and services that power Blurb's digital and print creation tools on the web, mobile phone, and desktop. Our customers are global, and our platform needs to be scalable and work around the clock. Our platform uses both Rails and Java, but both technology stacks are designed around light-weight RESTful services. We practice continuous integration and test constantly. We work closely with our product owners and other engineering teams to make sure we're building the right things at the right time. Blurb's engineering team hails from places such as Apple, eBay, Electronic Arts and ThoughtWorks and schools including UC Berkeley, Stanford, and MIT. We're a group of tinkerers, makers, hackers, and language enthusiasts who love what we do. A sampling of technologies we use daily includes Java, Spring Boot, Ruby, PostgreSQL, Redis, Github, and AWS.
As a Lead and a senior member of this Agile team, you understand business requirements and address them with simplified functionality. Leverage Java to rapidly build RESTful APIs that are easy to understand, use and maintain. Familiarity with Rails and Ruby will be an added advantage. You've had to deal with external clients to your services, and know how to make the call between extending, versioning or creating a new service. You understand the limitations of Java, help with writing whole new microservices in Java, and can squeeze out every drop of performance, using API design, and caching. You have full-stack experience, but you prefer to dive deep.
- Design and build backend services to support print and digital media products
- Manage services to ensure scalability and performance at peak load
- Collaborate with DevOps team to add instrumentation and monitoring to support production environments
- Mentor and lead other members of the team
Other job functions:
- Take part in more general design discussions
- Review the code of colleagues
Education: BS in Computer Science or related discipline
Work Experience: 8+ years of experience developing object-oriented web services
- Experience with Java Spring Boot and RESTful API design
- Experience with Agile Development, SCRUM, or Extreme Programming methodologies
- Experience with ReactJS, NodeJS
- Experience with Hibernate/JPA or other ORM mapping frameworks
- Experience building at scale
- Experience with SQL and NoSQL
- Great team player
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
Supervisory Responsibility: Mentor junior developers
This is a full time position based in our San Francisco headquarters. Occasional work from home is an option.
- Medical, Dental, and Vision insurance (HMO, PPO, HSA options)
- Parental Leave Benefit
- Employer-Paid Life insurance, Short-term and Long-term disability
- 401(k) Retirement Plan
- Flexible Spending Accounts for Medical, Dependent Care, and Transportation and Parking expenses
- 10 Paid Holidays
- 15 Days Paid Time Off Per Year (with tenure-based increases after two years)
- Birthday Off
- Catered Lunch on Wednesdays
- Office massage
- $300 credit A Year to Create Your Own Books with Blurb
How to Apply
Please email resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Blurb is committed to equal opportunity and considers qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, disability status or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
The employer will make reasonable accommodations in compliance with the American with Disabilities Act of 1990. The job description will be reviewed periodically as duties and responsibilities change with business necessity. Essential and other job functions are subject to modification. Reasonable accommodations may be provided to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.