Senior Manager, UX
San Francisco, CA
Blurb® is a book-making platform and creative community that enables individuals to create, publish, share and sell high-quality photo books, trade books, and magazines in both print and digital formats. Blurb is accessible to consumers across the globe with free, innovative book creation and layout tools. Founded in 2005, Blurb has over 2 million customers worldwide, resulting in over 4 million unique book titles, with nearly 18 million units shipped to almost 100 countries around the world. We are headquartered in San Francisco.
Blurb is seeking a Senior Manager of User Experience who will work closely with stakeholders across product, engineering, marketing and customer service, to build amazing consumer products for the company. The ideal candidate will be a creative thinker, customer advocate, and player-coach who can both execute and manage product design and user research, while delivering on aggressive deadlines. As a Senior Manager of UX Design you must demonstrate well-honed consumer judgment, a collaborative spirit, and a high bar for best in class design quality. You will be passionate about Blurb’s products and have strong instincts and process for enabling customers to be most successful.
This position reports to the Senior Director, Product and is based in Blurb’s San Francisco office.
- Leadership - Advocate for an integrated, consistent experience across the end-to-end product experience. Promote user-centered business decisions by influencing and educating across organization about UX best practices. Prioritize key UX initiatives and identify and track metrics.
- People Management - Manage and mentor a lean and talented design and research team. Promote user-centered decision-making based on cohesive design principles and patterns. Develop relationships with design firms and independent contractors to support flexing as needed against projects.
- Process - Collaborate in the exploration of new, innovative product ideas while refining existing features. Oversee the entire UX process from insight to execution. Ensure delivery of high quality user experience and product design across multiple concurrent projects, by providing oversight and guidance while empowering team members. Partner with other departments to optimize and improve efficiencies across teams.
- Design – Employ a range of human-centered design techniques, such as conceptual models, personas, user flows, wireframes, and interactive prototypes, to determine and convey design decisions. Collaborate and develop documentation as needed to guide engineering, marketing, customer support, and content creation through the implementation of engaging, high-quality user experiences.
- User Research – Identify, plan, and facilitate user research, insight analysis, and other feedback mechanisms to deliver insights and actionable results. Facilitate communication and share out of results, and provide recommendations across the organization.
- Customer Knowledge - Know our customers, and represent their needs and voice in the product development process. Facilitate brainstorms and create relevant communications to engage cross-functional teams towards promoting design thinking and a customer-centric culture.
- 7+ years of experience in user-centered research and design across web, mobile, and desktop applications.
- Experience leading the UX Design function for an established, high traffic, consumer-facing company. Demonstrated ability to balance strategic and tactical priorities in order to develop holistic solutions across a complex ecosystem.
- Proven ability to develop, lead, and motivate high performing designers and researchers.
- Hands-on, “get things done” mentality. Self-starter with the ability to multi-task and meet deadlines while still paying attention to details and executing flawlessly. Strong project management skills.
- Experience in iterative software discovery and delivery methodologies, coupled with a deep understanding of user experience methods, best practices, design principles, problem-framing skills. Expertise managing the design and development process from concept to production – bringing user-centered design into an iterative development process like Agile, Lean UX, dual-track scrum.
- Analytical & creative. Always learning, testing, and iterating. Thrives with numbers and data. Manages processes with great organization. Great business intuition and appreciation of design principles.
- Ability to communicate and influence effectively with different audiences, including executive team members.
- Master’s or Bachelor’s degree in human-computer interaction, cognitive psychology, interaction design, or equivalent work experience.
Blurb is a high-growth company, which means tremendous challenges and opportunities. We are looking for smart people who learn fast, solve problems, and get the job done. Our team is tasked with finding innovative ways to achieve hyper-growth and looking at new verticals and possibly new business models.
- Medical, Dental, and Vision insurance (PPO or HMO options)
- 401(k) retirement plan
- Employer-paid life insurance, short-term and long-term disability
- Flexible Spending Accounts for medical, dependent care, and transportation expenses
- 10 paid holidays
- 15 days paid time off per year (with tenure-based increases after two years)
- An extra day off for your birthday
- Free lunch on Wednesdays
- Company sponsored yoga and in-office massages
- $300 credit a year to create your own books with Blurb
How to Apply
Please email resume and cover letter to email@example.com
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Blurb is committed to equal opportunity and considers qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, disability status or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
The employer will make reasonable accommodations in compliance with the American with Disabilities Act of 1990. The job description will be reviewed periodically as duties and responsibilities change with business necessity. Essential and other job functions are subject to modification. Reasonable accommodations may be provided to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.