Senior Software Engineer, Rails
Blurb® is a book-making platform and creative community that enables individuals to create, publish, share and sell high-quality photo books, trade books, and magazines in both print and digital formats. Blurb is accessible to consumers across the globe with free, innovative book creation and layout tools. Founded in 2005, Blurb has over 2 million customers worldwide, resulting in over 4 million unique book titles, with nearly 18 million units shipped to almost 100 countries around the world. We are headquartered in San Francisco.
Your responsibility as senior software engineer will be to define, scope, architect and implement scalable solutions for our platform on Blurb.com. Within the platform team, you will use your ob-ject-oriented design skills to draw out elegant domain models to solve complex problems. You will work closely with the web team to perform complex transmutations on our legacy Rails application to support them in our quest to provide our customers' endless desire for new and exciting things. You will aid in the replacement of our Rails application's older features, both by aiding in the design of the better, stronger, faster microservice equivalent and by integrating it into the core Rails application itself.
You will work closely with our print operations and product teams to craft elegant solutions within our expansive ecommerce platform which facilities all aspects of printer routing, shipping, order fulfillment and customer support to our worldwide customer base.
Education: BS in Computer Science/a related discipline, or equivalent education plus work experience
Work Experience: 7+ years of production web development, with MVC framework
- Expert object-oriented programmer in Ruby
- Expert knowledge building Rails-based web applications
- Experience developing RESTful web services
- Experience with Unix systems
- Experience writing SQL
- Focused written communication skills for subsystem planning and designs
- Working knowledge of Java and/or Service Oriented Architectures
- Other keywords peculiar to our world: Tomcat, Dropwizard, Github, Postgres, Ansible, Maven, Gradle...and more :-)
- Team spirit! Making the effort and taking pride in helping others. Supporting your work in pro-duction with our DevOps team.
- Able to listen and evaluate ideas and opinions without bias and contribute to a common culture of excellence!
Supervisory Responsibility: N/A
This is a full time position based in Blurb’s San Francisco Headquarters. Occasional work from home is an option.
- Medical, Dental, and Vision insurance (HMO, PPO, HSA options)
- Parental Leave Benefit
- Employer-Paid Life insurance, Short-term and Long-term disability
- 401(k) Retirement Plan
- Flexible Spending Accounts for Medical, Dependent Care, and Transportation and Parking expenses
- 10 Paid Holidays
- 15 Days Paid Time Off Per Year (with tenure-based increases after two years)
- Birthday Off
- Catered Lunch on Wednesdays
- Office massage
- $300 credit A Year to Create Your Own Books with Blurb
How to Apply
Please email resume and cover letter to email@example.com
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Blurb is committed to equal opportunity and considers qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, disability status or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
The employer will make reasonable accommodations in compliance with the American with Disabilities Act of 1990. The job description will be reviewed periodically as duties and responsibilities change with business necessity. Essential and other job functions are subject to modification. Reasonable accommodations may be provided to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.