Dev Ops Engineer
San Francisco, CA
Blurb® is a book-making platform and creative community that enables individuals to create, publish, share and sell high-quality photo books, trade books, and magazines in both print and digital formats. Blurb is accessible to consumers across the globe with free, innovative book creation and layout tools. Founded in 2005, Blurb has over 2 million customers worldwide, resulting in over 4 million unique book titles, with nearly 18 million units shipped to almost 100 countries around the world. We are headquartered in San Francisco.
As a member of our DevOps team, you will be working in close collaboration with other DevOps team members in the goal of supporting both the broader engineering and development teams. Key to this role is understanding the underlying goals of projects and task objectives. Then translate them into solid solutions while managing both risk and urgency. The goal of which will help us maintain and scale an ever-evolving production environment while helping to continuously grow, build, and improve our deployment tools and processes.
Education: Bachelors Degree in Computer Science or equivalent work experience.
Experience: 3+ years as a DevOps/TechOps engineer or directly related role such as IT or systems engineer.
Solid background and experience in a Linux based environment as a system administrator.
- Knowledge and experience in the administration of bare-metal systems.
- Knowledge and experience in the administration of a cloud-based environment
- Working knowledge administration of VMware and KVM hypervisors
- Working understanding of operating system virtualization
- Understanding of common data center connectivity
- Understanding of common cloud networking architecture
- Agent and Agentless base configurations.
- Push-pull methodologies
- Provide detailed root cause analysis to prevent incident re-occurrence
- interpret and debug system and application error logs
- once every 3 weeks
Background and experience with common development tools and practices
Preferred or additional skills:
Scripting familiarity in one or more back-end system coding languages
Ability to translate and leverage monitoring systems and metrics in troubleshooting
Working knowledge or experience in the administration of common network appliances
Working knowledge or experience administration with various storage technologies
Experience in the administration and active maintenance of a live production environment.
This is a full-time position based out of Blurb’s San Francisco Headquarters. Occasional travel may be required to our remote data center in Salt Lake City, Utah to assist with the installation, base configuration, and deployment of new equipment. Addition duties of this role will include the support and assistance in the administration and maintenance of our Headquarters office environment and participating in teams on-call rotation.
- Medical, Dental, and Vision insurance (PPO or HMO options)
- 401(k) retirement plan
- Employer-paid life insurance, short-term and long-term disability
- Flexible Spending Accounts for medical, dependent care, and transportation expenses
- 10 paid holidays
- 15 days paid time off per year (with tenure-based increases after two years)
- Free lunch on Wednesdays
- $300 credit a year to create your own books with Blurb
How to Apply
Please email resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Blurb is committed to equal opportunity and considers qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, disability status or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
The employer will make reasonable accommodations in compliance with the American with Disabilities Act of 1990. The job description will be reviewed periodically as duties and responsibilities change with business necessity. Essential and other job functions are subject to modification. Reasonable accommodations may be provided to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.