Sr. Director/Director of Brand and Creative
San Francisco, CA
Blurb is seeking an exceptional strategic brand and creative leader who will be responsible for leading the company’s brand vision, storytelling, content and creative initiatives. This is a high profile, leadership role as Editorial and Design in Chief, who can differentiate and evolve Blurb messaging and positioning, and craft compelling narratives through multiple channels/mediums including video, digital, social, email, website, blogs etc. He/she should be an expert in visual branding, design, editorial, copy and content marketing. This role will report to the Chief Marketing Officer and will efficiently manage in-house creative resources, inspire and deliver outstanding work and assets required to execute on marketing strategy, customer lifecycle and ongoing/seasonal calendar that drives business results.
- Develop and manage a differentiated communication and brand platform, strategy and architecture including product messaging, and showcases Blurb’s unique value to customers, prospects and communities.
- Lead consumer insights and audience research to define and inform the overall positioning and messaging brand and product platform.
- Protect, grow and evolve the brand with vision, narrative, platform, identity, pillars, naming, tone and voice etc.
- Devise and execute unique brand awareness programs that drive growth and engagement with current customers and new/expanded broader audience.
- Refine and scale video and blog strategies in partnership with evangelist.
- Partner with digital, email and social media channel leaders to devise and review the right kind of copy, editorial and design campaign and assets and deliver in a timely fashion.
- Develop big ideas for seasonal timeframes and a campaign approach for the ongoing copy and design execution for all marketing assets across all media.
- Work with Product leader/owners in understanding product roadmap, attributes, features and translate/fold into new/ongoing marketing campaigns.
- Balance creative instincts with data/testing mentality and optimize creative assets and deliverables based on performance in various channels.
Team Leadership, Operations and Management
- Build, inspire and lead a best-in-class brand and design marketing team.
- Build a small core in-house copy and design team while also managing highly scalable external agencies.
- Manage budget for this function including agency and contractor negotiations, contracts and process and business reviews.
- Consistently seek new ways to manage budget/personnel and the workload and build strong flexibility into the team. Be nimble and move fast.
- Develop a strong foundation of new ideas and keeping up with latest trends in creative, technologies, consumer and prosumer space and competitive knowledge.
- Coach/Player mentality - be hands-on in writing and designing as needed.
- Determine how to evaluate creative performance, and synthesize and deliver data-informed learning into the overall marketing measurement dashboard.
- Develop highly integrated relationships with the entire senior marketing team and the senior business leadership team and their departments.
- 10+ years of demonstrated success and expertise in brand strategy, brand marketing, and creative leadership in corporate and consumer brands with global reach.
- Demonstrated ability to dive deep in understanding the product, Blurb business, and the competitive landscape.
- Deep knowledge of all creative design & collaboration tools and digital platforms.
- Strong writing acumen (i.e., storytelling, messaging, brand guidelines copy).
- Strong editorial and design performance track record in email, website and social media.
- Proficient in developing campaigns and creative aimed at consumers and niche prosumers and professional audiences such as photographers, graphic designers and artists.
- Strong leadership skills and a proven ability to manage, motivate and develop teams of various levels/skills.
- Highly motivated with ability to work independently and a stellar work ethic.
- Ability to operate in a fast-paced environment, managing multiple projects simultaneously and prioritizing time and resources based on business impact.
- Bachelor’s Degree required; Master’s degree a plus.
*Portfolio and sample projects submission required during the interview process
Blurb® is a software driven self-publishing platform that unleashes the creative genius inside everyone. Blurb’s platform makes it easy to create, design, publish, promote, and sell professional-quality printed Photo books, Trade books, Journals, Magazines, eBooks amongst others. To date we have printed nearly 30 million books and have over 3.3M+ unique users. Blurb includes a team of design, technology and media veterans who share a passion for helping people bring their stories to life. Blurb authors have created millions of books using our full suite of free book-making tools. Blurb is taking the inspiration forward beyond books and recently launched custom Wall Art. Every wall is a blank canvas. Fill it with big smiles or wild panoramas. The company is headquartered in San Francisco and can be found online at blurb.com.
- Medical, Dental, and Vision insurance (PPO or HMO options)
- 401(k) retirement plan
- Employer-paid life insurance, short-term and long-term disability
- Flexible Spending Accounts for medical, dependent care, and transportation expenses
- 10 paid holidays
- 15 days paid time off per year (with tenure-based increases after two years)
- Free lunch on Wednesdays
- $300 credit a year to create your own books with Blurb
How to Apply
Please email resume and cover letter to email@example.com
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Blurb is committed to equal opportunity and considers qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, disability status or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
The employer will make reasonable accommodations in compliance with the American with Disabilities Act of 1990. The job description will be reviewed periodically as duties and responsibilities change with business necessity. Essential and other job functions are subject to modification. Reasonable accommodations may be provided to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.